The Tektronix Federal Credit Union was founded on January 14, 1952. The charter application was signed by seven Tektronix employees and a deposit of $25. We do not know who the seven members were. This is the earliest TekTalk we can find that has information on the credit union and who the various people involved with it were. Note in only 3 months they had 100 members, $4,000 invested, and $5,000 in loans.
The following information on the Credit Union was taken from the 1956/1957 "You and Tektronix" employee handbook.
In 1961 the name was changed to Tektronix Employees Federal Credit Union. By 1963 the Credit Union was located in downtown Beaverton as indicated on this campus map.
By 1967 the Credit Union had granted 29,903 loans totaling $23.5 million. By the end of 1967 there were only 17 delinquent accounts totaling $4,894. By 1968 the credit union was located off campus in Building 03 (upper right) as shown on this map from the open house on September 29, 1968.
This 1975 map shows the credit union still in the same location (upper right).
In 1975 at the Wilsonville plant, the credit union consisted of a Steelcase desk and a cash box in the drawer. Later it moved to a respectable location at the intersection between Buildings 60 and 61.
The Tektronix Credit Union was very adoptive of new technology. By 1976 it had begun on-line data processing and three years later in 1979 began using ATMs. They also implemented an early auto-bill pay program with a proposed fee of $5 per month which quickly transitioned to free.
In 1986 membership was opened to include employees in other technology companies and the name was changed to First Technology Credit Union. By 1989 it had pioneered on-line banking using dial up modems. By the mid 1990s it was the second financial institution to implement secure internet transactions. Since then it has continued adopting new technologies and supporting the technology sector.